New compendium for polymer use in construction
Appears in Print as: 'Compendium offers comprehensive look at polymer material use in construction'
The “Architectural Plastics & Polymer Composites in the 21st Century” Conference Proceedings Plus Package encompasses papers and posters from the conference previously scheduled for 2020.
The Grade II listed classroom at Kennington Primary School, Preston, built in 1973-1974 is said to be the first fully structural plastic building in Britain. It is based on self-supporting glass fiber-reinforced plastic (GRP) panels, and makes early use of CAD to produce the complex geometrical designs needed for an inherent rigidity.
Organized by Technology and Conservation, Boston Society of Architects' Historic Resources Committee and Professor Goulthorpe, MIT Dept. of Architecture, the “Architectural Plastics & Polymer Composites
in the 21st Century” Conference Proceedings Plus Package is a comprehensive compendium on polymeric materials and their use, conservation/preservation and care in contemporary and historic architecture and artistic works. All of the papers and posters in the Conference book and in the supplemental material are designed to offer readers valuable insights into the performance and sustainability
of plastics and polymer composites in specific environments, as well as the appropriate selection, specification, use and maintenance of these materials for new and existing construction operations.
Topics discussed in the Proceeding book include:
- Historic perspectives — looking at plastics then and now
- Properties of plastics and carbon-polymer composites used in the construction of buildings, building components, windows and other structures, and in the creation of works of art and architectural decorations
- Performance characteristics of these polymeric materials including fire behavior, energy considerations, durability and weathering
- Material selection
- Research on testing and conserving plastic works of art and the challenges of reproducing historic plastic works
- The role of 3D printing
- Numerous case studies — the case studies detailed involve polymeric materials used in the design and construction of museums, entertainment and athletic facilities, factories, commercial buildings, religious facilities, educational complexes, parking garages, residential structures, health care operations and research facilities.
The Proceedings book encompasses papers and posters from the conference previously scheduled for 2020; a digital file containing the full content of more than 40 historic and modern books and articles; other relevant supplemental material relating to properties and applications of plastics and polymer composites.
The publication/shipping date for the “Architectural Plastics & Polymer Composites in the 21st Century” Conference Proceedings Plus Package is March 26, 2021. The special pre-publication rate of $275 U.S.
is extended until February 15, 2021.