Japan U-Pica Company, Ltd. (Tokyo, Japan) has developed VYLOGLASS, a highly efficient and innovative type of thermoset dry-type polyester molding compound with 10% to 20% glass fiber reinforcement using U-Pica’s exclusive technology.
VLOGLASS reportedly offers outstanding heat resistance and electrical properties when compared with conventional molding compounds like polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) and polybutylene terephthalate (PBT). It also excels in mechanical performance, moldability, handling efficiency and storage stability, providing versatility for a wide range of applications including: sockets, fuse holders, coil bobbins, thermostats. VLOGLASS is well-suited for applications in electrical equipment, electronics, automotive, and heat-resistant, mechanical parts requiring high dependability, thermal resistance and nonflammability.
VLOGLASS molding compounds are in pellet form, made with crystalline unsaturated polyester resin, and are suitable for injection, transfer, and compression molding. VLOGLASS’ strongest benefits include:
- Nonflammable – does not burn despite being halogen-free, achieving a UL-94 class V-0 flammability rating, and has outstanding resistance to electric sparks, tracking (> 900V) and arcing;
- Heat Resistant – does not melt even at high temperatures, showing a heat deflection temperature (HDT) up to 290ºC;
- Forgiving – deflects and shrinks minimally and provides superb stability in temperatures up to 250ºC;
- Moldability – produces no gas and does not contaminate molds; is granular, so can be fed automatically, with excellent measurability;
- Cost Reduction - can be easily used in runnerless injection molding for lower finished part cost because of its low viscosity and heat stability inside the injection cylinder.
Molded products have become increasingly smaller and thinner. In ordinary molding, sprues and runners are too thick to mold such thin, compact parts. Removing sprues and runners reduces the molding cycle, but reportedly cannot be readily applied to compounds other than dry-type premixes. Japan U-Pica claims VLOGLASS offers ease in runnerless molding due to its low viscosity and high temperature stability inside the injection cylinder.
For a catalog, datasheets, product samples and availability, contact Mitsubishi Gas Chemical America Inc. (New York, NY, US) advanced polymers sales & marketing manager Jun Mitadera at email@example.com .
Japan U-Pica Company Ltd. was formed in 1977 when Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company, Inc. (Tokyo, Japan) and Toyobo Co., Ltd. (Osaka, Japan) merged their unsaturated polyester resin sales divisions.
Other Japan U-Pica products for composites include urethane acrylate resins, BIOMUP polyester resin derived from bio-mass materials and CBZ epoxy resin for carbon fiber composites made using hand layup, filament winding, resin transfer molding (RTM) and vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM). CBZ offers the same flame resistance as Vyloglass and an HDT of 135º for neat resin and 205ºC for carbon fiber reinforced laminates.
Editor PickSicomin appoints Suter Kunststoffe AG as Switzerland distributor
Sicomin’s entire range of advanced epoxy systems will be available to purchase through their new partner.