Dantec Dynamics Inc. (Holtsville, New York), a manufacturer of laser shearography systems and other integrated optical measuring equipment for materials testing, is introducing FlawExplorer, a lightweight, ruggedized system that allows for fast, noncontact and full-field examination of composite materials for the detection of delaminations, disbonds, kissing bonds, wrinkling, impact damage, voids, crushed core and more. The system can accommodate complex geometries, producing real-time results of surface areas of up to 2m2/20-ft2 in one shot. Depending on the application, test objects can be loaded with one of the following excitation methods:
- Heating for CFRP laminates, metal sheets and thin GFRPs
- Vacuum for honeycomb, corks, sandwich structures and plastics
- Vibration for metallic bonding and misadhesion within composites
- Mechanical bending for GFRP blades
Features of the system include:
- Compact, highly portable, easy to set up and ready to operate within seconds onsite and in-field
- Cost-effective evaluation of large areas with fast location and characterization of defects
- Visualization of structural integrity information of composite components like ply drops, bulkheads, overlaps, splicers, stringers, ribs
- User-friendly software interface with customizable reporting functionalities
- Minimized false calls and higher probability of detection (POD) rates
- Compliant with SNT-TC-1A or NAS 410 (EN 4179).
Editor PickPlant tour: Aeris Energy, Caucaia, Brazil
In Northeast Brazil, wind blade manufacturer Aeris Energy is laser-focused on serving the domestic energy market, but it's poised to expand to serve the entire world. In the process, it has developed operations and a workforce that makes it a standout in the region.