Owens Corning (Toledo, Ohio, USA) announced on Sept. 15 that its Uniconform glass fiber mat is now available globally.
Designed for advanced closed-mold processes and initially launched in Europe, Uniconform continuous filament mat contains no chemical binder, synthetic core or stitching yarns, providing:
- Mold dressing time reduced by as much as 50 percent for complex parts.
- Increased tensile strength by up to 25 percent and flexural strength by up to 10 percent compared to standard conformable continuous filament mat reinforcement.
- Good finished-part surface appearance and resistance to water permeability.
- Improved thermal stability and fire retardant properties. Laminates can withstand temperatures up to 200°C/392°F with no permanent damage.
- Good clarity in translucent applications.
"Since the product was introduced in Europe in 2006, the market has responded positively to its ability to conform to complex mold shapes and produce a good surface finish without compromising any mechanical properties," said Marco Capelli, global product manager, OCV Reinforcements. "We're now pleased to be able to offer those benefits globally."
Made with the company's proprietary boron-free Advantex E-CR glass that combines the electrical and mechanical properties of traditional E-glass with the acid corrosion resistance of E-CR glass, Uniconform mat is 100 percent glass reinforcement that is mechanically needled. It is compatible with unsaturated polyester, vinyl-ester and epoxy resins.
Editor PickKey takeaways from JEC World 2017
A quick read of the composites tea leaves after JEC World 2017.