Western University (London, Ontario, Canada) announced Nov. 21 the new advisory board for the Fraunhofer Project Centre (FPC) for Composites Research @ Western. Charter members of the board include what Western calls "game-changing leaders from the fields of chemical and materials engineering, as well as visionary thinkers from the automotive and machinery sectors."
The inaugural FPC @ Western advisory board includes the following:
- Creig Bowland, global LFT technical leader and senior research associate, PPG Fiber Glass (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
- Michael Connolly, product manager, urethane composites, Global Business Development Team,
- Huntsman Polyurethanes (Auburn Hills, MIch.),
- Justin Gammage, chief scientist, General Motors of Canada Ltd. (Oshawa, Ontario).
- Klaus Gleich, Senior Research Associate & Manager, Sizing Technology Group, Corporate R&D
- Technical Center, Johns Manville (Denver, Colo.).
- Matthias Graf, technical director of the business unit forming, Dieffenbacher GMBH Maschinenund
- Anlagenbau Germany (Eppingen, Germany).
- John Paul Mead, VP, reaction process machinery, Krauss-Maffei Corp. (Florence, Ky.).
The advisory board will provide invaluable insight and resources to influence and further enhance the FPC @ Western leadership team, which includes institute managing director Frank Henning, deputy institute director Andrew Hrymak and manager of operations Tobias Potyra.
"I truly believe that we have assembled an advisory board second-to-none to support FPC @ Western as we embark on what I hope will be a long and prosperous research-driven venture here in London, Ontario," says Hrymak, who serves as dean of Western's Faculty of Engineering.
"It is a tremendous privilege to have these leaders offer expertise to what we are building, and I know we can deliver globally significant advancements in composites research with their support," says Henning, who is also deputy director of the Fraunhofer Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT) in Pfinztal, Germany.
Western and Fraunhofer ICT launched FPC @ Western — a long-term research collaboration on composite technologies for weight reduction — in 2011. FPC @ Western develops materials with specific desirable properties, particularly those that are lightweight or have low lifecycle impact for manufacturers in automotive, transportation, construction, defense and renewable-energy sectors.
For complete FPC @ Western advisory board biographies, please visit http://www.eng.uwo.ca/fraunhofer/advisory_board.html.
For more information about FPC @ Western, please visit http://www.eng.uwo.ca/fraunhofer/.
Editor PickWinners of JEC Innovation Awards announced
The JEC Innovation Awards ceremony will highlight 13 innovators on stage and will take place on Wednesday, March 15 at 5 p.m. at JEC World in Paris.