CompositesWorld, publisher of High-Performance Composites and Composites Technology magazines, as well as the CompositesWorld Weekly newsletter, reports that it has finalized the agenda for the Carbon Fiber 2013 conference, Dec. 9-12 at the Crowne Plaza Knoxville in Knoxville, Tenn., USA.
Sponsored by C.A. Litzler, Harper International, Knoxville Oak Ridge Innovation Valley, A&P Technology, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Toho Tenax America Inc., Oak Ridge Carbon Fiber Composites Consortium and Izumi International Inc., the conference includes a preconference seminar and a free tour of the Oak Ridge Carbon Fiber Technology Facility.
Confirmed speakers and topics follow. Visit Carbon Fiber 2013 for complete registration, lodging, agenda and other information.
- Chris Red, Composites Forecasts and Consulting LLC: Emerging Opportunities and Challenges for Carbon Fiber in Passenger Automobiles – Is the CFRP Industry Ready for Mass Production?
Conference, Day 1
- Keynote Presentation: Tia Benson Tolle, Boeing Commercial Airplanes: Carbon Fiber Technology for Aerospace - Today and Tomorrow
- Angelos Miaris, Premium AEROTEC GmbH: Producing Thermoplastic Matrix Composites for Aeronautical Applications Under Industrial Scale Conditions
- Bruno Dambrine, SNECMA: Carbon Fiber Composite Production for the LEAP Fan Module
- Robert Judd, Ohio University: Insight into the Cost Structure of Composite Manufacturing Using Cost Modeling
- Brett Chouinard, Altair: Analysis and Optimization of Composite Structures – Challenges and Opportunities
- Steven Carmichael, Mitsubishi Carbon Fiber & Composites: Deconstructing the Carbon Fiber Marketplace
- Jason Carling, Toho Tenax America: The Accelerated Use of Carbon Fiber Composites in Growing Markets
- Gary D. Roberts, NASA Glenn Research Center: A Hybrid Composite/Metal Gear Concept for Rotorcraft Drive Systems
- Stephen B. Johnson, GE Wind: Opportunities and Challenges for Carbon Fiber in the Wind Energy Industry
- Aaron Barr, MAKE Consulting: Carbon Fiber Usage in the Wind Energy Industry
- Gordon Lacy, NRC Canada: Design and Fabrication of the DVA-1 Radio Antenna
- John M. Carson, AltusGroup Inc.: Lighter, Stronger, Greener: How Carbon Fiber is Modernizing Precast Concrete!
- Globe Machine Manufacturing Co.: Speaker and title to be confirmed
- John Larkin, LTI Associates: Export Controls and the Carbon Fiber Industry
Conference, Day 2
- Keynote Presentation: Patrick Blanchard, Ford Research & Advanced Engineering: Future Opportunities for Advanced Automotive Composites and Challenges to Implementation
- Gary Lownsdale, Plasan Carbon Composites: Next Generation Carbon Fiber Composites: Beyond Medium Volume
- Hendrik Mainka, Volkswagen Group of America Inc.: Alternative Precursors for Sustainable and Cost-effective Automotive Carbon Fibers
- Probir Guha and Mike Siwajek, Continental Structural Plastics: Automotive Light Weighting Opportunities & Challenges
- Mark Campbell, Hyperco Div., MW Industries: Development of Hyperco Carbon-composite “Bellows Spring” (CCBS) System for Automotive Suspensions
- Chris McHugh, Sigmatex (UK) Ltd.: Application and Processing of Complex Fabrics for Lightweight Structures
- Tobias Potyra, Fraunhofer Project Center @ Western University: Title to be confirmed
- Dave Kehrl, A&P Technology: Out of the Box Composites with Braided Reinforcements
- Mathieu Boulanger, RocTool: High Speed Compression Molding by Induction
- Anthony Vicari, Lux Research: Planning for Ripe Fruit: Materials Innovation Lifecycles as a Scouting Tool
- Lance Criscuolo, Zyvex Technologies: Carbon Fiber Nanocomposites
- Chad Duty, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 3D Printing with Carbon Fiber Reinforcement
- Tracy Albers, GrafTech International: New Carbon Fiber Materials Based on Sustainable Resources for Energy Applications
- Quantum Technologies: Carbon Fiber Powering America’s Big Rigs (to be confirmed)
Editor PickJEC 2017 – Aiming for Industrialization
The exhibit floor in Paris reflected composites’ move toward high-rate and high-volume production.